• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Ladmirault, Paul (1877 - 1944) - a composer for all who like RVW, Bax et al

A most enjoyable discovery for me on my recent French jaunt, the music of Ladmirault got several plays driving through various areas of Brittany. I bought this album out of pure curiosity some time ago

First time through, not concentrating properly, it sounded slightly bland and all-purpose but there was sufficient interest to give it another spin for some Breton atmos... and it grew on me. The Prelude to his opera Myrdhin (Merlin) is immediately attractive.

More and more the music reminded me of the rhapsodic style of Bax or Vaughan Williams - and became rather addictive, hence the multiple listens while criss-crossing Ladmirault's native lands around Nantes (Wiki biog copied below, for info).

I think the likes of EdgeleyRob and teamsaint round these parts would get a lot out if it!

A great discovery - and well played by the Orchestre de Bretagne, conducted by Stefan Sanderling, one of Kurt's sons. Nice recording too.

Paul Ladmirault (1877–1944) was a French composer whose music expressed his devotion to Brittany. Claude Debussy wrote that his work possessed a "fine dreamy musicality", commenting on its characteristically hesitant character by suggesting that it sounded as if it was "afraid of expressing itself too much". Florent Schmitt said of him: "Of all the musicians of his generation, he was perhaps the most talented, most original, but also the most modest".

Ladmirault was born in Nantes. A child prodigy, he learned piano, organ and violin from an early age. At the age of 8, he composed a sonata for violin and piano. At the age of fifteen, when still a student of the Nantes High School, he wrote a three act opera Gilles de Retz. It was first performed on 18 May 1893. He was admitted to the Paris Conservatoire to study under Gabriel Fauré, learning harmony under Antoine Taudou and counterpoint from André Gedalge. He orchestrated a few works by Fauré. Like his fellow students - Maurice Ravel, Florent Schmitt, Louis Aubert, Jean Roger-Ducasse, Georges Enesco - he had become well known before he left the Conservatory. In 1903, he wrote a Breton Suite in three movements and the Prelude Brocéliande de matin. These two works were orchestral extracts from his second opera, Myrdhin (Merlin), an epic work which he worked on from 1902-9, and continued to revise until 1921, but which has never been performed.

He also wrote Young Cervantes for small orchestra, Valse triste and Épousailles for orchestra and piano. The ballet, La Prêtesse de Korydwenn (The Priestess of Ceridwen), was created at the Paris Opera on 17 December 1926.

In the field of religious music, he wrote a brief Mass for organ and choir, and a Tantum ergo for voice, organ and orchestra.

He also wrote articles on music in various periodicals. Appointed professor of harmony and counterpoint at the Nantes conservatoire, Ladmirault rarely left the Nantes region, calling himself a "homebody" who disliked to travel.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Great heads up , Cals.

IIRC our very own Roehre, (and no doubt others) is well clued up on yer Breton school.

Don't know the music of Ladmirault at all, though I have enjoyed my forays into the world of Ropartz, another Breton well worth investigating.

sounds like you immersed yourself into the local culture on your hols.

Here is some chamber music from the admirable Monsieur Ladmirault.
    Last edited by teamsaint; 04-05-14, 15:16.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

I have to admit that Ladmirault is just a name to me Cali. I can't recall ever hearing any of his music (though my memory is still slightly dodgy atm). So will investigate, thanks for this. I'm familiar with some of Ropartz's music which I enjoy. Incidentally Ropartz is another of this year's anniversary composers (150th birth anniversary), though R3 seems so far to have almost completely overlooked it (but that's no surprise these days, as he probably doesn't appear in the CFM beginners guide that most of R3's research probably now comes from!).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Quite a bit on youTube; including this gem, which really demonstrates the affinities to the early 20thC English composers that Cali rightly hears:

Paul Ladmirault (1877-1944) (France)Brocéliande au matin, poème symphonique (1909)Dir : Stefan Sanderling On collectionCB2 we can also listen to Paul Ladmira...
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Sounds like you are having a great trip, Cali.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
            I have to admit that Ladmirault is just a name to me Cali. I can't recall ever hearing any of his music (though my memory is still slightly dodgy atm). So will investigate, thanks for this. I'm familiar with some of Ropartz's music which I enjoy. Incidentally Ropartz is another of this year's anniversary composers (150th birth anniversary), though R3 seems so far to have almost completely overlooked it (but that's no surprise these days, as he probably doesn't appear in the CFM beginners guide that most of R3's research probably now comes from!).
            The first week of July last year a very interesting CotW was dedicated to Ladmirault, Inghelbrecht, Deodat de Sévérac, Absil and Delage

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Thanks Cali.
              I've listened to bits and bobs of Ropartz,prompted by teamsaint.
              I will certainly investigate Ladmirault.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Quite a bit on youTube; including this gem, which really demonstrates the affinities to the early 20thC English composers that Cali rightly hears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGxa2KBvto
                Yep Ferns - that's the subtitle of the Prelude from 'Myrdhin' that I mentioned above. A gem as you say.

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                The first week of July last year a very interesting CotW was dedicated to Ladmirault, Inghelbrecht, Deodat de Sévérac, Absil and Delage
                Indeed - that's what first put me on to him

Radio 3 can still do it, when it tries!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Following on from the YouTube suggestion of Ladmirault, I note that Corentin Boissier (he put up the Ladmirault piece) has put together quite a collection of unusual and relatively unknown music - in his CB, CB1, CB2, CB3 series. He has provided a list of some of the works in the collections - http://www.corentinboissier.net/Core...scotheque.html

Following a random walk I quickly "discovered" Guy Ropartz - example 3rd Symphony - http://open.spotify.com/track/6kFWFWJyPATCHGjCNzuK73 , which one American writer has described as a great work - http://www.musicfuturist.net/2010/01...ten-great.html

Another composer in CB's list is Andrés Gaos, from Galicia, at which point we might discover his biography written in Galego in the the Galipedia - http://gl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Gaos_Berea

Here is his Granada – An Evening in the Alhambra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3YzyMbTXq8

Here also is a CD of his orchestral works - http://www.amazon.es/Gaos-Integral-S...&keywords=Gaos

The Spanish flavour of this composer is apparent after a while.

Another unexpected and little heard work from CB's lists is Vierne's Symphony in A minor, which is NOT a symphony for organ - http://open.spotify.com/track/1gpsmHIfb0BCkm1R7iSNoG

I did say a random walk, and names such as Julia Smith (US), Pingoud (Finnish), Chailley (French) and Juli Garreta (Catalan) feature in Boissier's lists and uploads. These also include José Antonio, a Spanish composer, executed during the Civil War - one of his guitar pieces was recently heard on R3 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Jos%C3%A9

Returning finally to Ladmirault, it is a shame that so few CDs of his work are still available - and what is available appears to be either on YouTube or available in MP3 format only. The same is likely to be true for the works by many of the other composers in CB's lists, which are largely on the fringes of our collective consciousness. They will probably make a brief appearance, and then submerge into obscurity.

Here is Caliban's CD on Spotify - http://open.spotify.com/album/127d2VDmFoj1X9KEEJMOYP
                  Last edited by Dave2002; 05-05-14, 07:40.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Yep Ferns - that's the subtitle of the Prelude from 'Myrdhin' that I mentioned above. A gem as you say.
                    Ah, so it is! (The box by the side of the youTube recording says "Prelude to Act 2" - as does the link to the CD you refer to in the OP), but it stands alone as a concert item in its own right, in the same way that Bax's Garden of Fand or Delius' In a Summer Garden.) Interesting, too, to see the Breton Myrdhin - showing the relationship the language has with Welsh. In the guestbook at a farmhouse in Trapp (the first of many Welsh holidays) a family from Breton had left a six-line essaylet mentioning the similarities between the two languages, evoking an interest in the pre-Saxon British languages that I've rather neglected in the past couple of years; something I must get back to.

Back to Ladmirault, youTube also has this rather different Valse Triste for Piano & Orchestra, (also taken from the CD you link to in the OP) which is worth hearing:

Paul Ladmirault (1877-1944) (France)Valse triste, pour piano et orchestre (orig. for two pianos, 1901; orch. 1933)Pianist : Colette DiardDir : Stefan Sanderl...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Returning finally to Ladmirault, it is a shame that so few CDs of his work are still available - and what is available appears to be either on YouTube or available in MP3 format only.
                      Quite so

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Thank you Cali for bringing this composer, Paul Ladmirault to our attention. Certainly well worth investigation! That Prelude to his oper Merlin, be really good to hear as well, again. Certainly o0f the ilk of Bax, Debussy and RVW etc.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

been spinning aRopartz disc that I picked up second hand a few weeks ago.
                          Its a "French Only" release, of sacred choral music, including Psalm 136, (which even my O level French can work out as " By the Rivers of Bbabylon). Nocturne, Les Vepres Sonnent and the Le Miracle de Saint Nicholas.
                          Nicely sung by the chouer Regional Vittoria D'Ile de France.

Certainly music that catches a certain mood really well.

Don't know if this stuff ever gets performed here in the UK, but if not there is a decent seam here for our choral friends to mine.
                          '
                          Here's the first work on the disc.

Edit: on further listening, I like this more and more.
                          also, apparently its a reissue of a Marco Polo disc, which Naxos did also release in a UK version.
                          Last edited by teamsaint; 11-05-14, 18:44.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                          X