• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
    Sleight of hand? Both screenshots claim to have been last updated at 3:03am today!
    I noticed that and assumed that 'updating' was different from 'correcting factual errors that shouldn't have been there in the first place'.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
      Can one really vote on film music? Surely it is in conjunction with the film itself, the visuals etc, as I am guessing that the sort of music we'll suggest will be Also Sprach, Mahler 5 adagio ?
      I think we can vote on film music, especially as this relates to radio so no visual element. I think we should exclude scores that rely largely on the music of other composers that wasn't intended for the film, even if its is very effectively used (i.e. Ligeti and 2001).

It would be interesting to find out what us 'traditional' R3 listeners would say are there favourite film scores and see how much it differs from the 'yes it is, no it isn't, R3 poll'.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Getting back to the Original Sound of Cinema, these are the results (don't know what 'so far' means`).

Interesting that of the 20 in the list, two accounted for 38% (Star Wars, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) and four accounted for over 50% of the votes, by taking 7% or more. West Side Story, in third place and Lawrence of Arabia in 4th are mere also-rans. Thinking about it, though, you would expect a Classic FM audience to have somewhat better taste than the BBC's 'national' audience, I suppose

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Thinking about it, though, you would expect a Classic FM audience to have somewhat better taste than the BBC's 'national' audience, I suppose
          You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

What an utterly pointless exercise that BBC poll was. I saw Django Unchained on Thursday night but damned if I can even remember any of the music that was played. Same goes for many of the films on that BBC list.

Radio 3.....gone to Hell in a handbasket. They have probably put a block on my mobile number to stop my texts getting through.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
              What an utterly pointless exercise that BBC poll was..
              Agreed. BUT, the genune Radio 3 listeners, and their film scores poll, will knock the socks off that poll and show it up for what a load of Horlicks they are trying to thrust upon us in the interests of popularity and inclusiveness.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

The real pointlessness of such polls (and ours is not excluded - but it is interesting to see how closely it does or doesn't correlate with the BBC's and Classic FM's) is that we don't arrive, or expect to arrive, or aim to arrive, at the 'best' or 'greatest' - merely the most popular/favourite among a certain group, at this moment.

Comment

• Anna

we don't arrive, or expect to arrive, or aim to arrive, at the 'best' or 'greatest' - merely the most popular/favourite among a certain group, at this moment.
                  Duly chastised! <bows, backwards, whilst leaving room emoticon>
                  At least none of us said Billy Elliott purely for the Tchaikovsky

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Duly chastised! <bows, backwards, whilst leaving room emoticon>
                    At least none of us said Billy Elliott purely for the Tchaikovsky
                    I started mine before I even saw yours - so it wasn't a response to you! I agree that it's likely to be 'better' - less obvious, wider ranging and, dare one say, less populist. I'm hopeful DavidP would approve

Comment

• Anna

I agree that it's likely to be 'better' - less obvious, wider ranging and, dare one say, less populist.
                      In other words, the typical R3 listener, not brash, but thougtful and insightful to the human condition!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Can someone please tell me when will this dreadful lowbrow , endless film music programming end .

I regard the interval talk on James Horner's revoltingly saccharine pop music for Titanic - including the most nauseating pop song of all time the nadir in the entire history of the network.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Can someone please tell me when will this dreadful lowbrow , endless film music programming end .

I regard the interval talk on James Horner's revoltingly saccharine pop music for Titanic - including the most nauseating pop song of all time the nadir in the entire history of the network.
                          Saturday it looks safe to come out ...

Comment

• hmvman
                            • Mar 2007

....but to what?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Does that apply to people of all sexualities ?

Comment

Working...
                                X