• amateur51

Originally posted by An_Inspector_Calls View Post
    Not unexpected

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

You have just very effectively shot yourself, and any potential credibility in you arguments, in the foot.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

As I said, in #98, on page 2, in the main summary, PWC state an NPV of £437m, as did your Baroness in the Parliamnetary debate. The number you're quoting is one of many discussed in the PWC, some referring to different sceanrios (as I supercilliously pointed out in #11), some referring to different incomes streams. Figure 2 of that report shows the variability of the various income and cost streams. The most important figure in the published PWC report is the £437m on page 2. Clear now?
        Economics 101. To arrive at the NPV figure of £437m, they need to know costs and benefits. So if those costs and/or benefits can't be justified then neither can the NPV figure of £437m. One of those alleged benefits that goes towards making up the NPV figure of £437m (am I going too fast?) is the benefit of £780m to consumers. Yet nowhere can one find any figures to show how they arrived at this figure. BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN REDACTED. Capisce?

I answered your point about radio listeners without TVs not contributing to paying for the service in #81 - to the effect that the numbers involved are piddling. There's no economic merit in further work.
        As little economic merit as your other ludicrous example of anyone listening to commercial radio paying for it because they just happened to decide one day to buy something that they might/might not have heard advertised on said radio. Tenuous.

And we are still waiting for that link to the UNREDACTED PwC report that you claim to have found.

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          You have just very effectively shot yourself, and any potential credibility in you arguments, in the foot.
          Why, am I expected to provide care in the community?

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
            Economics 101. To arrive at the NPV figure of £437m, they need to know costs and benefits. So if those costs and/or benefits can't be justified then neither can the NPV figure of £437m. One of those alleged benefits that goes towards making up the NPV figure of £437m (am I going too fast?) is the benefit of £780m to consumers. Yet nowhere can one find any figures to show how they arrived at this figure. .
            There are plenty of figures in the PWC document that itemise the costs and benefits of the switch to DAB - pp32-85. There are also pages on the model structure and the discounting rate in the report, which stretches over 91 pages. For a scheme paper, that's a very detailed bit of work. However, what you do not have, and neither do I, is the mathematical version of how these figures are put together to arrive at the working NPV model - probably an Excel spreadsheet. I doubt that's been published or redacted. But the descriptions I've alluded to should give one a view as to whether the final NPV is reasonable or not.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Why, am I expected to provide care in the community?
              If you want to be regarded as anything other than a disruptive interloper in this community, yes, of course you are.

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Ah well, I bow to the expert there.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

AIC, you are either able to provide a link to the report because you have it, or you can't because you don't & never had. If the former, do so; if the latter, say so. Otherwise you can't be regarded as anything more than a bag of wind.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

There are plenty of figures in the PWC document that itemise the costs and benefits of the switch to DAB - pp32-85. There are also pages on the model structure and the discounting rate in the report, which stretches over 91 pages. For a scheme paper, that's a very detailed bit of work. However, what you do not have, and neither do I, is the mathematical version of how these figures are put together to arrive at the working NPV model - probably an Excel spreadsheet. I doubt that's been published or redacted. But the descriptions I've alluded to should give one a view as to whether the final NPV is reasonable or not.
                    You are seriously now starting to annoy me. If that was your aim then you have succeeded and so go troll somewhere else. Those pages contain the redacted figures. You are being particularly obtuse, dare I say stupid, in blithely saying that there is enough information.

That's it for me...go troll somewhere else. I've stuck you on Ignore.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      AIC, you are either able to provide a link to the report because you have it, or you can't because you don't & never had. If the former, do so; if the latter, say so. Otherwise you can't be regarded as anything more than a bag of wind.
                      +1

Comment

• Nick_G
                        • Aug 2012

AIC's responses remind me of this very interesting statement, posted a while ago on another forum:

Well, according to Ofcom, only 21% of people without DAB sets claimed they would buy one.

From: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...1618877&page=7

It makes you wonder how many other people who are talking up DAB on forums have been told to do so by the industry. Perhaps I'm being paranoid but, well, it does make you think what lengths the industry will go to to try and force this through.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Er...

Please can we cool it? The personal insults have been relatively mild up to now, but I sense things going up a notch.

?

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick_G View Post
                            AIC's responses remind me of this very interesting statement, posted a while ago on another forum:

Well, according to Ofcom, only 21% of people without DAB sets claimed they would buy one.

From: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...1618877&page=7

It makes you wonder how many other people who are talking up DAB on forums have been told to do so by the industry. Perhaps I'm being paranoid but, well, it does make you think what lengths the industry will go to to try and force this through.
                            If you were in the industry, and it was in your financial interests to get DAB pushed through, you would be daft not to use/pay people to influence forums. And it happens.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Ooh...thanks, Nick, for that link. I missed that one. I noticed you over there taking an active part !

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                I would have thought that my numerous references to the report right from post #11 onwards made it perfectly clear that I have it. And, given the abuse which started immediately after my #11 post, I'm not going to grace the oposition with the link to it (which is a trivial find anyway).

Others
                                As for any suggestion that I'm sponsored to support DAB, dream on, that's a farce. I simply think the FM switch off is inevitable given pressures on the rf spectrum, the success of the DTT switchover, and the high costs maintaining the anologue transmitters - all borne out by the PWC report. If you don't accept that, then you're in a dream world - why else are we pressing on with DAB transmitter installations? And why knock it, FM's aty the end of its development, DAB at the start.

Comment

Working...
                                X