BaL 24.11.12 & 19.10.13 Mozart's Piano Sonata no. 8 in A minor (K.310)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    In which case, I would impress upon you the need to acquaint yourself with the Howard Shelley/London Mozart Players renditions of the concertos on Chandos, often available for very reasonable prices on the Amazon marketplace.
    Noted!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Peter Katin
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

A trifle wistful that my own recording didn't get a mention. I did them for Olympia and they were subsequently transferred to Altara in 2008 (if they're still available).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Peter Katin View Post
        A trifle wistful that my own recording didn't get a mention. I did them for Olympia and they were subsequently transferred to Altara in 2008 (if they're still available).
        Still available from the Altara catalogue:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

And here. With an extreme sense of guilt, I shall add your name to the list of recordings.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Peter Katin View Post
            And as I think I may have mentioned before, my favourite modern instrument Mozart sonata survey on disc. Thank you again for recording them.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Just heard this in full. A brilliant piece of exposition and critique by Stephen Plaistow, with exemplary use of examples (hoho). I liked his gentle chides ("that's an adagio not an andante!") - he seems very strict regarding tempi. Pires does sound like a future purchase now, her piano sound more agreeable than Goode, but could she be accused of over-attack at times? The Brautigam wasn't as convincing as the later sonatas I'be heard him play: a different fortepiano, I expect.

Does Plaistow only do piano works on BaL? I hope he gets to sink his teeth into some Beethoven soon.
              Last edited by Guest; 25-11-12, 21:09.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Brautigam used the same 1992 McNulty instrument based on a ca. 1785 A. G. Walter throughout his Mozart piano sonata survey. Lubimov, on the other hand, used three different instruments as he moved chronologically through his survey. Bart van Oort used five different instruments, I think (I only have the six discs of variations and duets from him in the big Brilliant Classics Mozart box). I am tempted by his complete Mozart keyboard music set though.
                Last edited by Bryn; 25-11-12, 22:24. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Brautigam used the same 1992 McNulty instrument based on a ca. 1785 A. G. Walter throughout his Mozart piano sonata survey. Lubimov, on the other hand, used three different instruments as he moved chronologically through his survey. Bart van Oort used five different instruments, I think (I only have the six discs of variations and duets from him in the big Brilliant Classics Mozart box. I am tempted by his complete Mozart keyboard music set though.
                  Thanks for that, Bryn. How do you rate Lubimov's Beethoven? His op.109-111 disc seemed to garner a good deal of praise.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Thanks for that, Bryn. How do you rate Lubimov's Beethoven? His op.109-111 disc seemed to garner a good deal of praise.
                    Sorry, I am not familiar with his Beethoven. I will have to investigate. I am a bit of a late Beethoven junkie, especially when it comes to the sort of instrument the composer knew/had to put up with/wrote for.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

May I add my tuppence worth here. I got the disc following those rave reviews when it came out last year and remember including it in a thread we had here about five favourite recordings of 2011. The sound of the instrument and the ambience of the recording were absolutely riveting and I found myself being led anew through works I had known very well over about 40 years. A funny thing to say, maybe, but the instrument also seemed to fit more convincingly into my not huge living room than a concert grand. On a flight of fancy I actually found it possible to imagine that Ludwig himself might be sitting there doing it for me. Very individual performances but I would say they are essential listening.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        May I add my tuppence worth here. I got the disc following those rave reviews when it came out last year and remember including it in a thread we had here about five favourite recordings of 2011. The sound of the instrument and the ambience of the recording were absolutely riveting and I found myself being led anew through works I had known very well over about 40 years. A funny thing to say, maybe, but the instrument also seemed to fit more convincingly into my not huge living room than a concert grand. On a flight of fancy I actually found it possible to imagine that Ludwig himself might be sitting there doing it for me. Very individual performances but I would say they are essential listening.
                        Always happy to have your opinion, Gurnemanz.

The disc is available on Qobuz (music-streaming site) and, given the strength of your recommendation, it will be receiving my undivided attention today.

Comment

• John Shelton

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          It's excellent. The CD of Schubert Impromptus played on an 1830 Joseph Schantz piano is also "essential listening."

Wildly off-topic, Lubimov's is my preferred recording of Ives's Concord Sonata

[previously posting as Hey Nonymous. John Shelton is an alternative spelling of the poet John Skelton's name]

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Another vote in favour of Lubimov from me too.

And for them as likes such : zig zag territoires are bringing out a CD of Mozart works for two pianos - Lubimov plus Yury Martyn. I think I shall have to get...

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Sorry, I am not familiar with his Beethoven. I will have to investigate. I am a bit of a late Beethoven junkie, especially when it comes to the sort of instrument the composer knew/had to put up with/wrote for.
                              I have now somewhat familiarised myself with the recording in question. At first I was rather intrigued by the phrasing and emphases. However, after a while I found them irksome. I am much happier with Brautigam, Komen, Badura-Skoda or (Peter) Serkin in these works as played on historically appropriate instruments.

Comment

• ostuni
                                • Nov 2010

The trouble with the P Serkin is that the piano isn't really up to the job... An original Graf: Brautigam's McNulty copy (of another Graf) is obviously in much better condition, as is Lubimov's original Graff (no relation!). I listened to Lubimov's op111 the other night - liked his variations a lot. The 1st mvt seemed a bit staid, certainly lacking the fire of Brautigam's, but the variations are full of some beautifully shaded playing, and lovely sounds from the piano.

Comment

Working...
                                X