Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

There were some good specifics but not much overview in this BaL.

What, for example, did we really learn about the Previn ?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

I think everyone is being a bit hard on poor Mr Thurlow. Egregious interjections of Lutoslawski and references to the LAPO aside (I wondered if DG were about to issue a new download in their Concerts series), it held my attention. It can't be an easy work to review in such a short space of time - do you then try and mention (almost) everyone, albeit briefly in some cases? Or do you commit the heinous crime (cf. Britten's Violin Concerto and Ida Haendel) of not mentioning certain versions at all? I'm quite tempted by the approach that says (to use a fine Scottish expression), "these are a pile of mince", then naming and discarding them (I have the Previn, for instance, but is it really all that wonderful?). Anyway, I appear to have all his short listed versions plus several more and if I'm on my own and allowed to turn up the volume it's the Nagano which I'd choose. And the ondes martenot is clearly audible.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

[QUOTE Or do you commit the heinous crime (cf. Britten's Violin Concerto and Ida Haendel) of not mentioning certain versions at all? [/QUOTE]

A bad, BAD business!!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          There were some good specifics but not much overview in this BaL.

What, for example, did we really learn about the Previn ?
          IMO, I think that the Previn is one of the most balanced recordings available. I have it(I do'nt know if the couplings are the same still), with Poulenc's Concert Champetre and Organ Concerto. hatcouplings! I rememebr buying thye vynl version of the Poulenc vivdly!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            I have it (I do'nt know if the couplings are the same still) with Poulenc's Concert Champetre and Organ Concerto.
            Me, too. Formerly I had the Previn Turangalila on a pair of Casettes; nowadays it's squeezed onto a single CD.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

If you want to get the best out of the Previn recording, there is this, which I do not in the least regret purchasing (admittedly at around a third of the current asking price) to supplement the 2 CD set which indeed had the Poulenc concertos as 'fill-ups':

In addition to the DVD Audio side (Stereo and 4 channel surround), there is a DVD Video side, playable in a standard DVD player:

Side A: DVD-Video-compatible Dolby Digital AC3-encoded 4.0 Surround Sound & 24-bit linear PCM Stereo
              Side B: DVD-Audio-compatible MLP-encoded 24-bit 4.0 Surround Sound & Stereo
              Last edited by Bryn; 28-03-17, 11:48. Reason: Image sorted

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

It's rather expensive now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Messiaen-Tur...8183104&sr=8-4 I think I got it for only a few pounds, when some SACDs and Audio DVDs seemed to be going cheap.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  In addition to the DVD Audio side (Stereo and 4 channel surround), there is a DVD Video side, playable in a standard DVD player:
                  Erm, this might seem a stupid question (not that that's ever deterred me before) but is the DVDVideo "just" the Audio recording (with blank screen) or a recording of the TV performance that Previn & the LSO gave in the late '70s?

Ooh, look! Flying Pigs!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Erm, this might seem a stupid question (not that that's ever deterred me before) but is the DVDVideo "just" the Audio recording (with blank screen) or a recording of the TV performance that Previn & the LSO gave in the late '70s?

Ooh, look! Flying Pigs!
                    Seems a good question to me! The reference to DVDAudio also puzzles me. What do you see when you are listening?
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

I haven't heard the BaL yet - but did Chailly with the Royal Concertgebouw get a mention? It is the only version I have, and I find it more than satisfactory - very dynamic, actually...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        I haven't heard the BaL yet - but did Chailly with the Royal Concertgebouw get a mention? It is the only version I have, and I find it more than satisfactory - very dynamic, actually...

Me too... It's one of 3 I own, with Rattle and Chung, and it's my favourite.

The Chailly does well... just pipped on the line by...

You'll have to listen, won't you
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Ooh, look! Flying Pigs!
                          DVD Audio (or DVD-Audio if you insist) refers to the DVD-Audio standard, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio , (remember, DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc). It requires a DVD Audio player to recover the (high definition) audio information from the DVD Audio layer. It can carry both 2 channel stereo and surround at high resolution. When it comes to surround, it can carry both LPCM and the lossless Meridian codec. DVD Video is the standard used by your bog standard DVD player. It can play back Linear Pulse Code Modulated (LPCM) 2 channel stereo at up to 96kHz sample rate and 24 bit quantization (though the Turangalila disc is restricted to 48kHz sampling), but is restricted to the lossy formats Dolby Digital and DTS when it comes to surround sound.

There is no 'moving picture' video in the disc concerned.

Oh, and there is/was an SACD version of the Chailly, though I did not much like the surround perspective when I gave it a spin. I recall Chailly's version came in for a fair bit of stick at the time of its release. I loved it (in 2 channel stereo), but for me, the Nagano pips it at the post. I have a ridiculous number of recordings of the work, including the majority of commercial issues on optical disc formats, and many, many recordings taken from radio broadcasts. I rather like it.
                          Last edited by Bryn; 28-05-12, 18:52.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            DVD Audio refers to the DVD Audio standard. It requires a DVD Audio player to recover the (high definition) audio information from the DVD Audio layer. It can carry both 2 channel stereo and surround at high resolution. When it comes to surround, it can carry both LPCM and the lossless Meridian codec. DVD Video is the standard used by your bog standard DVD player. It can play back Linear Pulse Code Modulated (LPCM) 2 channel stereo at up to 96kHz sample rate and 24 bit quantization (though the Turangalila disc is restricted to 48kHz sampling), but is restricted to the lossy formats Dolby Digital and DTS when it comes to surround sound.

There is no 'moving picture' video in the disc concerned.
                            Thanks for this, Bryn: I've had the col legno Lost Cloud CD&DVDAudio double of Sciarrino's La Bocca, I Piedi, Il Suono for 104 Saxophones since 2004 and I've wondered what the DVD was there for! (I'd expected a film of the performance - not unreasonably given the forces required to perform the work. )

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

For those with whom the Rattle recording finds favour (I have tried, I really have), there is a very slightly higher definition audio of the 'bonus' on one of the Leaving Home DVDs. It also has the advantage of being on a single disc. I should mention that I thought the performance he most recently directed at the Proms was all-together superior.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Thanks for this, Bryn: I've had the col legno Lost Cloud CD&DVDAudio double of Sciarrino's La Bocca, I Piedi, Il Suono for 104 Saxophones since 2004 and I've wondered what the DVD was there for! (I'd expected a film of the performance - not unreasonably given the forces required to perform the work. )
                                I think the DVD-A standard is now effectively obsolete, eclipsed by Blu-ray.

Comment

Working...
                                X